Mission Statement
                       General Federation of Women's Clubs is an international womens organization dedciated to community improvement by enhansing the lives of others through volunteer service.  gfwc symbol

September Meeting
6:30 p.m.

September 20, 2016

Summer University

August 2 – Time TBA - Iris Card Folding  
August 6 – 2:00 - Western  Style Outdoor
August 17/24 – 11:00 Zoo Tour

SEPTEMBER                                                                                                                         September 13 – Time TBA -The  Grand Escape

Contact Us


GFWC Billings Junior Woman’s Club Literacy Programs

Our literacy goal takes many people working together to inspire the readers of tomorrow.

*Research shows that birth to age one and birth to age three are critical age markers in reading to children, but new research, according to Mem Fox, indicates that the first four months is an extremely critical time for establishing language patterns.

 *Children's brains are only 25% developed at birth; the other 75% is up to the parent(s) and caregivers.

*Children who know eight nursery rhymes by heart by the time they are four years old are usually among the best readers by the time they are in third grade.

*Children need to hear at least 1000 stories read to them before they can learn to read for themselves. If a child is read/sung to on a regular basis it could happen in one year alone!

“Books for Babies and You!” – Touch and Feel Board Books and information for parents are delivered daily to newborns at each of the two Billings hospitals. About 2,700 books are delivered each year. Over 18,000 books have been delivered since 2007.

“Read To Your Bunny” is a compelling program, stressing the importance of reading aloud to children of all ages, but especially in the early formative years beginning at birth. The purpose of the program is to share with parents, teachers, & caregivers important information gleaned from early childhood experts and from research studies, that identifies the key to becoming a successful reader.  Each parent attending receives a book for reference and a book for their baby.

The Book Ladies –Members read & sing twice a month to children from birth to three.

Festival of Trees – Each year a tree is prepared for the Festival of Trees with children’s books.

Youth Services Library – The Youth Services library is being refurbished. Members of the Advocates for Children Committee are updating materials for the residents.

Pre School Screening – Children Ages Birth – 5 years are screened by School District #2 for hearing, vision, speech and development. Books are distributed four times a year.

ECI – Early Childhood Intervention – Children from birth to three years with hearing and/or speech problems are given a signing book called My First Signs. Sixty books were given in 2014.

Montana School for the Deaf and Blind Billings area director receives sign books to give to her students.

Holiday Parade – The club has participated in the Holiday Parade distributing books rather than candy. Over 1,700 books have been distributed in the last two years.

The Center for Children and Families, a Behavioral Health and Child Well-Being Agency serving Montana – A counselor meets with the parents while the children are in another room reading or playing with toys and puzzles. Each child receives a book after the session is finished.  

Billings Clinic Activity Bags – Children that are in the hospital more than two days are given a bag with activities like puzzles, card games, color books, coloring tools, and a book.  

Best Beginnings – Members represent BJWC at the Best Beginnings - Ready Readers Work Group


GFWC-Billings Junior Woman's Club
P.O. Box 20234
Billings, MT 59104-0234

Home History Calendar Committees Scholarships By-Laws Officers Links FAQ